As I’ve mentioned in my profile page, I only post recipes here that are tested and approved by friends and family members. I brought my own version of baked macaroni this morning at my in-laws’ place for our Christmas celebration, and my sisters-in-law kept singing its praises and began interviewing me how did I do such a yummy meal. It’s feels so good to hear other people say that they like my cooking..so good that I’m sharing this simple and easy recipe to you.
400 grams elbow macaroni
2 tbsp butter
1/8 kilo ground beef
1 small onions, diced
4 medium green and red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 piece beef bouillon cube (Knorr cube)
1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup evaporated milk (410 ml can)
1/2 block cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the elbow macaroni according to package directions. Cut the cooking time so that the macaroni is not fully cooked. It will be fully cooked once baked. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the meat sauce by melting the butter into the cooking pan.
- Saute the onion until the color becomes clear. Add the ground beef and the beef bouillon cube. Cook for a few minutes until ground beef turns into medium brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and chopped bell pepper. Stir and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add water and stir until all ingredients are well-combined. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- To prepare the Mornay sauce, melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for about a minute.
- Add the evaporated milk gradually and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and stir until melted. Set aside.
- In a baking dish, toss the cooked macaroni and the meat sauce until well combined.
- Pour the Mornay sauce over it. Spread the sauce until the macaroni with meat sauce is evenly covered.
- Bake in the preheated oven (175 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!